Wednesday, March 7

Work Experience

I have been to the talk mentioned it in this post. As it turns out the talk was about gaining work experience places. It has left me in quite an odd state. Firstly, the firm the speaker represented does not accept applications this late for summer work experience. I do hope this is not the case with the majority of firms as no-one told us this. Why put on a workshop/talk for gaining work experience if it is already too late to gain any? However it could quite rightly be argued that we should be looking at this ourselves. If we are not motivated enough to do this by ourselves what hope is there for us?

His second point however was more disturbing yet blindingly obvious; Despite all the interviews, checking of A-level grades and correctly spelt cover letters, one of the best ways of gaining work experience is through a family member or a friend of the family. My family are not legal professionals. This is of course a classic case of 'life isn't fair'. There are many people on my course who have family connections that will aid them. I wont have that luxury. Regardless of how 'fair' it is, I also wont allow someone to get ahead of me based on who their parents are.

I think I may have finally found something that I can use to drive myself forwards and not accept being beaten.

P.s If any Barrister's Chambers are currently looking to give work experience to a first year law student with no previous legal work experience, feel free to post....

1 comment:

BabyBarista said...

If you want to do a mini-pupillage, then the best way is just writing to the "Pupillage secretary" at your Chambers of choice. It's pretty easy to get one and also good for your CV. Good luck!