Saturday, March 10

In Pursuit of Work Experience Part I

With respect to work experience I've been as pro-active as my timetable will allow over the past two days. What with Thursdays and Fridays being quite full days, the hours I had left to call Chambers and Solicitors practices wasn't as much as I needed. However, I have been calling Chambers and finding out the names of whom I should write to. Nothing to be particularly proud of, but the speaker that came in on Wednesday told us how he will open post not specifically addressed to him slightly later and cast a more disparaging eye over the sender.

On the subject of applying to Chambers I have decided to send applications for mini-pupillages to twenty. Twenty seems like a good number. Actually it will be twenty one, as I applied for one set online (clearly moving with the times). I'm going to write twenty individual cover letters, and include twenty stamped self-addressed evelopes. If I don't manage to attain a place out of twenty I will be slightly concerned as my back up plan for a placement with a solicitor's firm is not quite going to plan either.

One firm I called yesterday only accepted students for work experience if they were in the third year of a law degree or GDL and agreed to take a training contract with them. A bit catch 22 I thought.

That's all I've got time to post for now, I have to fight my way through the Saturday crowds to purchase 40 first class stamps.

I'm posting twenty applications on Monday, I don't think I can afford not to.

4 comments:

Android said...

I remember those times... So much of the conqueror paper wasted! Not really, just kidding. Although I do have a folder of rejections; but I then found that subsequent applications tend to be more successful.

Are you targeting London or provinces?

Good luck anyways!

Law Student said...

I am applying to a few near the University and some near my home. Most however are London based chambers.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Gavin Whenman said...

Good luck :-)

Anonymous said...

QUOTE: Actually it will be twenty one, as I applied for one set online (clearly moving with the times).


Hmmm, I wonder if that was my chambers? As I decide who gets a mini-p I might just go back and check to see who applied on Saturday....