Thursday, March 15

Work Experience Part II

It was with an aching wrist and ink stained hand that I posted a set of mini-pupillage applications at 2am last night. Another seven done. Once the last set is done I will have either written to or e-mailed twenty seven chambers. Even though I am dreading receiving rejection letters sealed in envelopes penned by my own hand I am starting to feel a bit better about the whole ordeal. When I have some time to myself I attempt to work out the odds of just one application being successful, and how many available placements there are at twenty seven chambers. I then realise the reality is probably strikingly different due to the sheer volume of numbers of people applying.

A friend arrived back at University after a trip home for the weekend. Like myself he had only just begun his quest for work experience. Upon his arrival he informed me that he had secured work experience at a very large Solicitor's firm in a major city. Quite an impressive feat....no doubt helped by the fact that he happens to be incredibly chummy with a senior partner.

Despite how it may come across I am not bitter about people gaining places through their connections. I am however a realist. I know that I have to strive to do this myself. I know that instead of an Uncle who is a barrister, or a family friend who happens to be Lord Chancellor I need to have something else;

Grit, Determination, and the Desire to Suceed.

I don't imagine I can use them as references though...

No comments: