Monday, March 19

A Break

Despite that none of my friends are Irish we felt that St Patrick's day was worth celebrating together as a group. A hearty breakfast was cooked together and then we enjoyed the sunshine indulging in a spot of football and cricket. As is normally the case with a group of people old enough to know that their actions will cause them an obligatory hangover but cannot quite stop saying 'I'm 20, I can handle this', the day degraded towards nightfall into what can only be described as a bender.
For some time now drink-fuelled shenanigans have been few and far between. Exams are approaching, and the prospect of not being able to get up in time for lectures stops being funny when you spend extra hours in library attempting to catch up. St Patrick's day however was a welcoming day off.

Monday has arrived and all the weekend related silliness has been put to one side. The last of my mini-pupillage applications went in the post today. Along with this I have also found around a dozen chambers willing to accept application by e-mail. I received a prospectus from the BPP law school in the post, reasoning that it can't hurt to research into where I would like to study after my degree. I have been reading lawyer-2-be: Redressing the balance... on the current state of the BVC course. It's not going to put me off aiming to get onto the course but I will remember to go in with my eyes open.

Lawyer-2-Be makes mention of the amount of students on his course that do not do the required amount of preparation and let down others. I know from my own experiences that there are some very lazy people on my course who will either have to motivate themselves more or will end up the way he describes them. It is not just the odd one or two though, the last time the register went round in a lecture the column for the previous week was headed '70 absentees'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad my post "redressing the balance..." hasn't put you off - it wasn't intended to! It does help though if you go in with open eyes - you may not feel quite as disappointed when you realise that the BVC is rife with irritations and annoyances, none of which the BVC providers appear to want to do anything about in my experience! Anyway, good luck with your applications...

L2B

Android said...

In my 1st and 2nd years at uni, I hadn't missed a single lecture or a seminar! Geeky, I know. I had to miss a few this year though, mainly due to mini-pupillages. :(

P.s. You have registers on lecturs? :o