Wednesday, February 14

Non Est Vexatum

Yesterday, instead of my usual (and quite interesting) Legal Skills and Process lecturer we were spoken to by a local lay-Magistrate. It was quite an interesting talk, as usual I had sat as far back as was possible in the lecture theatre.
My Contract lecturer has gained the rather helpful habit of turning off the back lights when giving lectures so I tend to sit at the back, no longer with the intention of napping, but rather because I've usually only just got out of bed and the dark seems to help. The only minor problem with this approach is that every week fewer and fewer people attend the legal skills lectures which are directly after the contract lectures. As I sit at the back savouring the few minutes peace that I can grasp before my next lecture begins my fellow students dart out of the lecture theatre, many enter again with hands cupping a coffee, but quite a large number do not return. This results in several rows of vacated seats in front of me, and my feeling awfully exposed to the gaze of my lecturers.
Perhaps I have become slightly bookish recently but I can not see the point in purposefully skipping lectures. I may, however, be taking this view because I am sitting indoors attempting to memorise the two necessary conditions for a successful plea of non est factum and trying not to give myself panic attacks every time I think of the amount of cases I have yet to learn. Others seem to be going through the course without worry and many without even attending.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks. Enjoyed reading your blog and will continue to do so.

Keep up the good work

Have linked you too.