Thursday, February 22

Inspiration

Today I did something I've never done before. Strange though it sounds, what with my being a law student, for the first time in my life - I set foot in a courtroom. A friend and I had decided to take a visit to the local Magistrate's Court.

It was good to get a feel for the whole process rather than just reading it out of books. I only have one gripe with the process - that the ushers assumed we were with the group of journalism students who had been sitting in the corner reading the Gaurdian.

Seeing a prosecution solicitor questioning a witness was both interesting, and inspiring. However what truly impressed me was (I may have been mistaken about what happened, but this is what it sounded like at least) when a defence solicitor entered, shuffling papers and pulling out pens. The prosecution solicitor stood "We ask that the case might be withdrawn on the grounds of insufficient evidence.". On being asked by the Magistrate how he felt about the proposal the defence solicitor replied "Of course I have no problem with the decision - and might I apply for costs?". Several hundred pounds granted. It didn't seem too bad a decision, bearing in mind he had been in Court no longer than 3 minutes before he left again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the costs would have applied to the entirety of his work including previous hearings, case preparation etc

if it was over a certain figure it would be taxed by a court clerk on a later occasios