Tuesday, April 17

Pro Boni Discipuli

Since my last posting I have managed to secure enough work experience placements to ensure that I am going to be having a busy summer, and gain a very rounded CV. However, one essential element is still evading my grasp. I am having difficulty in finding a placement with a Pro Bono group. To this end, yesterday, I visited the Law careers advisor, who informed me that I should consult our student law society. I am yet to hear back from the senior member I contacted. Whilst at the careers office I also picked up a copy of the Pupillage/Training Contract Handbook. It does seem to be full of helpful tips, though it's size did nothing to help the tear in my rucksack as I clipped it shut.


I have been spending large amounts of my time in the library recently, which explains my lack of posting. BatGirl may be interested to hear that yesterday the library was giving away outdated legal textbooks as they were no longer fit for purpose. I picked up a couple of Family Law books which, after managing to cleave their dusty pages apart, revealed their year of publishing to be 1999. Still, it can't hurt to have more books on my bookshelf.

By the looks of the book-filled arms of some of my fellow students, this would be the only addition to their bookshelf in this past academic year.

I have made mention before of my liking for the judgements of Lord Denning. A few days ago I stumbled upon a copy of one of his published works (I believe it was Landmarks in the Law). I spent quite an enjoyable afternoon reading his book and then finding the relevant law reports and reading them as well.

That is a a use of time I believe to be almost impossible to describe to someone who does not study the law as 'fun'.

4 comments:

Meg said...

Heh. I'm not that far out of Uni that I don't appreciate free textbooks and to be honest, with a lot of the law text, some of the ones we still have on our shelves (and get used regularly) can date back to 1992.

It all depends on whether there's been any massive shifts in the law and as long as you keep that in mind, they'll probably be some help in the future. Particularly if you ever need any pre-change points.

Glad to hear that you've managed to get yourself a busy but productive for the future summer.

Anonymous said...

I do Pro Bono volunteering with my Law School's Pro Bono group once monthly at my local Citizens' Advice Bureau -- definitely the way forward. The first thing, as you've done, is checking with the people at your Uni. The second thing is just to directly contact CABs and Legal Advice Centres all over the place. The third thing is to know someone who knows someone.

So, to that end, if you are in fact in London, I know the administrator at one of the NW London CABs and could probably get you a few weeks for the summer. Let me know if that helps at all, and thanks for the Blogroll add!

Anonymous said...

Study the law as fun? I thought it was fun in the first year too. Approaching my 3rd year I just want it over with so I can get on with the job.

Hywel said...

The Denning books (I think there is a series of about 5) are highly readable and informative.

Reading his description of the way he developed his thinking about promissory estoppel - well before High Trees - made understanding it a breeze when we covered it in class :-)

You just need to be a little wary - he doesn't give a lot of coverage to where his decisions were overturned which can leave you with the impression that his views are settled law!