Tuesday, April 10

The Library

Today I found myself deep within the musky confines of the Law Library at my University. There is nothing unusual about this of course. I am after all a student and to not visit the library would be to miss out on the wonders of research... However, the difference with today is that I wasn't looking up cases for my own revision or learning (technically). Still, regardless of motive, I spent a reasonable part of my afternoon traipsing back and forth, no doubt something that caused great annoyance to my fellow library users. I'm not entirely sure if I should feel ashamed that a minor part of my traipsing was down to me being unable to recall what the acronym IRLR stands for.

Rather than for purely academic reasons, I was reading up on case law surrounding bank charges. A friend wished to claim back some bank charges and felt that relevant case law would further his aim. After the relevant cases had been found and photocopied a trip to the bank was in order to discuss the issue further.

Upon reaching the bank and speaking to an assistant, my friend was informed that claims for charges cannot be made in the bank and all must be submitted in writing. There is probably a reason for this, but this is from the same bank that would not accept my driver's licence (provisional only I'm afraid - I don't have the time to learn at the moment, honest) or birth certificate as proof of my identity, but would accept my NUS card. When I collected my photographic NUS card from the SU and told them exactly why it was I had come to collect it three months after it was issued the member of staff said 'But we don't even run any checks on these'.

It felt good to spend some time researching an area that I wasn't being made to learn, but rather an area I was actually interested in looking at. It's not to say that I don't like the units that I currently undertake, but I am looking forward to that point a few months from now when I will never (hopefully) have to learn Company Law again.

No comments: