Thursday, April 12

Ethics

I wrote a post or two ago that I was of the opinion that a career at the Bar held a certain degree of prestige. 'Bagpuss' was kind enough to comment that the majority of the public believe lawyers to be "somewhere between sharks and politicians". I know the profession I intend to enter is not held in the highest of regards by some.

I recently read the Times article about the solicitor who earned 16.8 Million pounds in a year. Some of the comments left by posters seemed to hold lawyers in a very dim light indeed. I'm not sure if I should be bothered by the public perception of lawyers or not. In all honesty, I don't really mind if people think I am of the intention to become a self-serving parasite.


...What is a more pressing worry to me is that on Tuesday I was in receipt of another rejection letter for a mini-pupillage. The difference with this letter however is that it was from the chambers I most wished to gain a mini-pupillage with. Not to worry I suppose, I can always re-apply next year, hopefully with a better CV after my summer placements.

2 comments:

Law Apprentice said...

Shame about missing out on the mini-pupillage. I think the attitude to lawyers is the same for all Service based industries, I find in the IT Support industry which I work in people treat you like dirt, same with call centres etc etc

I just take it on the chin each day and imagine earning more money to justify the animosity

devil's_advocate said...

Think of it maybe as 16.8 million pounds of gratitude...? After all, payment does reflect a certain joy and satisfaction with services rendered. (Bit of an economists view there...).

Where the reputation comes from is never entirely black and white - but to work in a profession based at the centre of conflict, there will always be some people that come out unhappy with the legal profession.

I was at a course a couple of weeks ago in ADR - the barrister talking said that in the 1000 (or so) proceedings he'd been involved with, he'd probably upset or made enemies of 1000 people. Says a lot really...

The Bar ethics and code of conduct looks very solid to me so I'm not worrying ;).