Thursday, April 5

Gaining Mini-Pupillage?

Not that I post with such frequency as the likes of Charon QC, but my blog will be quiet for a few days as I take some time away. On the one hand I want to stay and work. On the other I want to take a break of two or three days, lest I should be consumed by the subtle intricacies of illegality before Easter even comes.

I mentioned on one of my previous posts that the only google searches that seem to lead to my blog always contain the phrase "Mini-pupillage cover letter". I assume that these people are trying to find a standard cover letter that someone else has written. However, somewhat unforeseen by myself, the fact that I wrote about these searches means that I now get more hits from google searches in this fashion, as I am now almost the top of the search list.

To anyone that found this page when you were searching for mini-pupillage cover letters I am afraid that I do not have a cover letter to give you. I do, however, as someone who has over the past month of writing letters and sending e-mails managed to attain two mini-pupillages, have some advice to give. I don't profess to know much about the process, after all this is the first time I have tried to get some, next year may well be different for me.

  • Firstly, no-one is going to hand you a mini-pupillage, and unless you are very lucky no-one is going to hand you a list of chambers to contact either.
  • (Possibly too late now) Do it early. I searched and called dozens of chambers who had deadlines set in place for applications, many in March, though several were long before that.
  • Hand writing applications adds a personal element, though many also allow application by e-mail.
  • When writing your cover letter, explain why it is that you wish to experience life at that particular set. I don't think it needs to be said, but that will require that you look into what work the chambers undertakes.
  • Do not allow yourself to be disheartened if you are unsuccessful. Continue to write letters to more chambers. If you want a mini-pupillage enough you will keep going depsite rejections. I believe I have sent applications to around 25 chambers. I have gained two mini-pupillages out of all those applications (so far at least).

5 comments:

Android said...

Personally, I don't think handwritten applications are necessary, unless expressly stated.

Also, applying all over the place, barristers say, makes you appear desperate and disorientated. The fact that you don't have to list all of your mini-pupillages on the CV is another story... But there are only so many you can physically fit it with your studies and holiday commitments!

So I think targeting is important... This is how got to 11 so far, and I was told, that's more than enough.

Law Student said...

As I stated, I don't profess to be correct in all that I say, this being the first time I have applied.

The more people that comment with their own tips and advice, the more helpful this particular post will be to others.

Anonymous said...

Do some research and follow the instructions. I get 4-5 CVs and covering letters a week that tell me how much the person wants to do a mp at our chambers. Their decision to apply was after carefully researching who we are and what we do.

Not too carefully however. 30 seconds spent on our website will lead you to the (a) online application form and (b) tell you the deadline for applying.

Between now and late June I will receive 10-15 applications a week that will have ignored what's on the site. All of these people will want to come this summer as they have applied to us through OLPAS.

Stop giving me an easy excuse to put your application in the bin!

Law Student said...

Thank you for taking the time to give advice Wig and Gown.

SM said...

I agree save that type is easier to read than handwriting. I think that topping and tailing in hand is best.

And for more advice, go here http://pupillageandhowtogetit.blogspot.com/