Monday, May 7

Sorry for the delay

During the past two weeks I have taken the majority of my first year law exams. I feel quite confident about my performance, though I will have to wait and see.

In the days preceding my exams I found a rather obscure way to revise case names. I sat in one of the local student bars, overlooking the river, with some friends and my books. I read through the list of cases I had prepared a few times, and then sat watching the music videos on the television. A friend (who doesn't take a course with exams) who was also in the bar relaxing did ask why it was that I was just staring at the television, whereas my course mate who was with me was elbow deep in books.

What I was doing was going over the order of the cases on the page in my head. I didn't read the pages more than three times each before I could comfortably recall all the cases. I remember my old Chemistry teacher saying that his roommate during university had a photographic memory. I can't have that or I would have done better at Chemistry A-Level...

I don't know how it worked, or how it managed to work as during the 48 hours prior to my contract law exam I had 4 hours sleep - but it did. I had time enough at the end of my exam to count how many cases I used. Thirty one - I have no idea how many I learnt that weren't relevant to the question.

The day after the exam, more studying was needed. My friend joked that I should try to learn the full citations for the cases I was going to need in the next exam. I am glad to say that I did not attempt to do so, however I did read a case as he said this, and managed to recall the citation in the exam, but was too worried I would be suspected of cheating should I put it down.

Nearly a week later I can still recall the citation. I did remark that it's like Good Will Hunting, only better, as I'm not best friends with Ben Affleck.

No comments: