Tuesday, May 22

Too much spare time

The bliss that followed the end of my examinations was somewhat short lived. No more than a week passed before I was already bored. I am faced with the possibility of three months with nothing academic to do. Of course, I have work experience and mini-pupillages to attend, and the obligatory job I need to pay off my overdrafts - but three months with no law learning seems a long time.

And so it was, with my recently acquired motivation, that I popped into the local Waterstones last week and purchased a case book on Tort law (I also purchased a book on Italian, reasoning that if I am intent on learning a year's worth of work in three months, learning a foreign language on top of it all is likely to make little difference). I am going to focus on Tort law first, for a number of reasons. The most important is that a third year friend, who is well on course for a first class degree, recommended that the best approach to take with Tort is to learn as many cases as you can. The second reason is that I would rather avoid starting to learn 'The Law of Business Transactions' before I have to.

I have sat down with my case book, and am beginning to work out (using lecture notes provided to the current second years) which cases are of most use. The list will be extensive and large in number, but when it is taken into account that my Tort exams are just under twelve months away, it seems highly possible that I should be able to almost entirely memorise every case listed in Nutcases.

I will inform my readers when I become bored of Tort and move onto the joys of Property law.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a geek!
It's holidays you pleb.

Get some mates. Get a boyfriend.

Jeeezus!

Gavin Whenman said...

Wow, you're dedicated.

Surprised you're doing Tort though, that was a first year topic for me. Definitely recommend learning the cases, it's heavily reliant on common law with very little statute.

Anonymous said...

Gawd, take the summer off for heaven's sake - life is hard enough as it is during the academic year; you need all the respite you can get. Tort is a pants subject - I've never met anyone who's had trouble with it- which can be gleaned with relative ease WITHOUT resorting to a casebook! Bloody hell, Nutcases at a tenner will do the trick!

Anonymous said...

What anon said but without being quite so rude.

Josephine Bloggs said...

Well I'm afraid I'm going to weigh in with an opposing viewpoint which is quite simply that tort cases are great and can often make for amusing reading so I don't see what's geeky at all about reading them at your leisure! If that's what you enjoy then why not? It's only like reading car mags or even lawblogs.

Depending on whether you find people falling down holes and various other tortious incidents amusing or not (which I'm afraid I do in that sort of "And they call us homo sapiens" kind of way), I highly recommend getting stuck into some employers'/vicarious liability cases. Some of the clinical neg. stuff is quite good too - check out Whitehouse v Jordan in the Court of Appeal for a Denning Special (and Hinz v Berry for an even better DS).

So long as it's because you enjoy it and not because you feel you have to I think you're being very sensible! One of the most frustrating things about revising at the moment is coming across cases and thinking "I wish I'd been more disciplined and perused these when I had the time to do so at my leisure." And anyway, anonymouses, who says you can't read case law on a beach with a cold beer? (Although granted, the weight of the textbook will consume most of your luggage quota.)

Michael said...

Wouldn't worry too much. This over-enthusiasm for law will soon wear off. Many students suffer from 'withdrawal' symptoms when the exams suddenly come to an end. Couple of weeks and I'm sure you'll be wishing that the holidays will never end.