Tuesday, September 26

Proper Law Lectures

I had three hours of lectures today. Legal skills and process, Contract, and Law of Business Organisations. I'm not normally one to complain but anyone not doing single honours doesn't have to do Law of Business Organisations, which I found thoroughly mind numbing. Luckily however my boredom with the subject matter was counterbalanced against the fact that our lecturer is what can only be described as a nutbar.

I was not fortunate enough to sit at the side of the lecture theatre today so instead I had to contend myself with trying not to headbutt the 'desk' (one of those little fold out desks attached to lecture seats just big enough to fit your pad of paper on) as I began to slowly nod my head forwards and suddenly jerk back sitting upright again.

Now that, for three of my modules at least, we have had our first lectures it is time to start preparing for next week's seminars. I have had a look at the mild assignments we have to do and was thoroughly pleased to note that the questions to answer had very little to do with the information given in the lectures. Saying that I am thoroughly pleased might seem to be sarcastic, but in actual fact it is a good thing that I am going to have to spend several hours deciding what type of offence I think has been committed in certain cases, especially as I have no criminal or tort law knowledge whatsoever (we don't even cover them this year). I am glad because, as our lecturers have been only too kind to point out, if we do not learn how to do our own research and get these skills now, one day we will give bad advice to clients, and we will get sued for negligence. I could quite happily do an extra bit of study than lose my house.

That's all for now. Though I would like to send a message to the Cathedral Canal tour company; Your constant going passed of my bedroom window fully laden with passengers of a less than young disposition all wielding cameras whilst I am only half dressed is a practise I'd rather you avoided. Some sort of fog horn attached to your boat so that I might know that it's time to close my curtains would help...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how about a new post!!

The 'Twenty-Something' said...

Welcome to the blogosphere Law Student!

Keen to extend an invitation to join us at 'The Diaries of UK Law Students' & 'The Twenty-Something' - both blogs 'student legal resources' you shouldn't be without!

I like you're posts. More so when you spoke about indecent exposure...

Come and check us out:

http://uklawstudent.blogspot.com/
http://thetwenty-something.blogspot.com/

Feel free to leave a comment.


Miss H

Susie Law School said...

Welcome!!

Enjoy the studiousness, the twenty-something beat me to the links but indeed, join the UK Law Student diaries... and have also added a link to your blog from mine, http://reallylegallyblonde.blogspot.com