Monday, February 26

Slippery Slope to Hades

I would like to explain a little further about the events of this post - Inspiration. After we had watched an hour or so of cases with very few defendants actually attending and as far as I can recall only one defence solicitor presenting arguments, a very helpful usher explained that there are usually more interesting cases the following day.

My friend and I duly returned the next day to sit in the public gallery and observe again. After watching around 3 or 4 cases with defence solicitors and defendants actually attending, a new case began. The defendant was awaiting a trial date and the hearing was to determine whether to grant bail. The solicitor for the prosecution asked that he not be granted bail, on the basis of his previous convictions......and that the last four times he has been on bail he has either broken bail conditions or been charged with another offence, and is currently in the possession of a suspended sentence for a previous crime.

His defence solicitor stood. Put his case to the bench - Bail was granted. All that I thought as this occurred was 'What a professional'. As we left the Court I discussed what we had just witnessed with my friend. I remarked how impressed I was with what the solicitor had just done, and that I had been further inspired by his actions. My friend however then pointed out something that I had so far not even thought of. Was what we had just witnessed moral? It seemed legal, certainly, but moral? Thinking about it this doesn't seem moral at all.

Morals wasn't what I first thought of. The job was. I can't help but feel that I'm well on my way to losing my soul entirely.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

totally lost.

was what moral?

speaking up for some-one who was not capable of articulating his thoughts?

Law Student said...

We were questioning if it was moral to get someone bail when, judging by their previous record, in all likelyhood they would commit another offence whilst on bail.

I did not say that I do not agree with the way the system works, but it does seem like you have to detach yourself from the implications of what you are doing.

Sorry for the confusion.