Tuesday, October 17

Time has flown rather quickly here since my arrival. A month has passed. In some ways it feels no more than 5 minutes, in other ways it feels like a lifetime. The weeks are flying passed, and yet I can not remember (remember is not strictly the correct word) what it was like to not be here. I have learned more about myself in this past month than I have in the past three years.

I have learnt no more about myself than I imagine anyone else leaving home to attend University does. I have had to learn to be entirely self-sufficient. To be honest it is not as hard as I thought it would be. But what it shows is just how amazingly adaptable people are, you send them miles away from home with people they don't know, and everyone seems to be getting along fine.

On one point I am very proud of myself. I am starting to understand everyone's accents. A rather large proportion of students appear to come from Leicester or Yorkshire and their surrounding areas. Only one of my flatmates is a southener like myself, and it does cause us much amusement that we consider ourselves to be the only ones talking 'proper'. In fact I have only met a handful of people that speak the Queen's English (jokingly - of course I mean that don't speak with a regional accent) like myself.

This weekend four of my five housemates went home. Most of them only live within about an hour to an hour and a half's traveling time. My Southener housemate has stayed, and like me, does not intend to return home until Christmas. We have made the sacrifice of moving 200 miles away from home. However, I do get mixed emotions when I am walking back to my apartment on a late Friday afternoon to see fellow students greeting their parents and being taken away by them. On the one hand, I miss my parents, I haven't seen them for a month and very possibly will not see them until Christmas. On the other hand I feel emboldened by the fact that I am in this for the long haul and do not need to go running back to mummy and daddy because I cannot cope.

I find it rather hard to come up with a topic to write about for my blogs, I know they are meant to be about law, but my law learning is still in its infancy and would be of no interest to anyone as of yet. I too find it hard to give an account of what it is like to be a student, you just have to experience it yourself. One thing you have to learn to do is take the rough with the smooth and just enjoy yourself. For instance I was awoken at 3 o'clock (and 4 o'clock last Wednesday, by the same people I might add) this morning by the lads across the hall (one of whom is studying law). A bit of a bummer one might think, but they are so much fun that you just have to go with it and enjoy yourself. Similarly, yesterday I and my Southener flatmate wasted an afternoon as she and I went tie and shirt-hunting. Not my favorite way to spend an afternoon, but tomorrow night it is a school themed disco hosted by Bodger and Badger, and now our entire apartment has matching ties.

I do so hope they do not bring mashed potato.

3 comments:

buffalodawg said...

200 miles from home isn't really all that far in US terms. There are some people that do 100 mile commutes on a daily basis. Then again, in law school, who has a chance to get home anyway. Good luck.

Law Student said...

A very valid point Buffalodawg. The point was that it takes more for me to get home than the half an hour most of my fellow students are from their homes.

Thank you for you words.

Anonymous said...

200 miles is far.but the proclaimers would walk 2oo miles and more(damn scots)
but us margaters must stick 2 gether
lol :)